Sunday, August 6, 2006

Medically Necessary Cesarean Section

Okay, I take back what I said about Sandra's C-Section being just another medicalized birth, and the nasty thoughts I was having about the medical establishment. I just got more details that convinced me it was medically necessary.

What I knew yesterday: her water broke, she went to the hospital, she wasn't having contractions (or at least not consistent ones) and they put her on pitocin, then found out the baby was breech and took her surgically. What I found out today: when Sandra arrived at the hospital she had a temp of 108 and very high blood pressure. Her fever came down but her blood pressure remained very high, and after they found out the baby was breech, they knew they couldn't mess around anymore.

I'm convinced that she is one of the VERY FEW women for whom a C-Section was medically necessary, and why I'm glad the technology exists. I'm glad Sarah and Sandra are doing fine. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new niece! That's a lovely name. I usually go for "unusual" names, but I really love those classic, pretty names, that have been given to so many wonderful women before and have such a history. Sarah Catherine. Think of all the amazing women that have born those names. I especially love St. Catherine - I climbed to the top of Mt. Sinai and imagined the angels gathering her bones together atop the mountain at dawn, where they were miraculously found.

I know we've talked about our views on medicalized births, and I agree - I am so glad c-sections are an option when necessary. And so glad momma and baby both got through it so well!

Mimi said...

I'm with both you and Arielle, c-secions when medically indicated are good things. For convenience or because of failed inductions are not medically necessary.

architect said...

A good midwife has a c-section rate of 4 to 5%, so I assume that, in all women, there should be that many c-sections.

Congratulations on the new niece! That is exciting!! Will there be a picture soon?

Best wishes to the family. =)

Susan said...

Christinas was also medically necessary, both for mom and baby.
I worked in L&D for some 25 years and I saw lots that werent necessary, although Kaiser wouldnt do them per moms request.
I also saw many babied saved due to quick thinking and getting the baby out.
It is a double edged sword.

Elizabeth said...

No question, Susan, Christina's c-sec was also definitely a medically necesary one.