Sunday, December 11, 2005

Our Saturday



Ah, life in Portland! We're trying to get used to the cold. Most often heard phrase coming out of my mouth this past week: "dress for the weather!"

Paul didn't get his day off this week, as he was up-to-his-ears busy with parish stuff in his first week. However, there were no sacraments yesterday--no baptisms, weddings, or funerals, which is not a usual occurence for a large parish on a Saturday. So, we got him at home until it was time for Vespers at 6! I took off, leaving him home with the kids (which was absolutely *fine* with him--he was ready for some time at home) and went by myself to find some things for our house that have been needed for the last week. I found some great panel curtains for our dining room at a vintage consignment shop. Yay for only 19 bucks for four panels! Unfortunately the rods I bought for them are too small, so they're not up yet. But I did get up some curtains in the upstairs bathroom--I was feeling like at night our up-the-hill neighbors could see right in. And my one indulgence purchase was a beautiful new torchiere lamp--we needed a good strong lamp for the living room, but I suppose I wouldn't have had to spend that kind of money on it....but it's pretty and I just bought it. :-)

So, I suppose that's one thing about being a homeschool mom--you have to look for time to do stuff like this. When I have the kids in the backseat, they'll only put up with so much stopping at every shop I see that might have what I want. I do appreciate the time I get, and I had fun by myself, shopping for our new home. And I feel good about these purchases--they were all bought at shops that support world crafts without being exploitative, or were bought used. I love the Global Exchange store. We shopped at the one in San Francisco a little, too. When I walked in yesterday there were coffee samples, and the guy giving them out was touting his family's coffee farm in Brazil! I've met my vegetable grower before, but I'd never met my coffee grower. Cool beans! ;-)

When I got home, the rest of the family was all excited. They'd gone for a walk, and I think it was a pile of prunings that inspired them to make a wreath. They took bits of stuff from the neighborhood and from our yard and made a wreath that's beautiful and smells good! It's made of some kind of evergreen, rosemary (okay, they stole that from my kitchen), lavender that grows in our yard, and rose hips outside our window.

11 comments:

Mimi said...

I remember when we first moved to Washington from Northern California, it was the bone chillingness of the cold that got me (I think it's the slight dampness). And now, I find that I hardly ever wear a coat, so you adjust!

Glad you are settling in! In January, we need to schedule a meeting!

Elizabeth said...

I keep saying we're adjusting. Wishful thinking, I think.

A January meeting sounds great! Let's plan on it.

Harmonia said...

Saw you on vegan lunch box thought I would stop by. Nice place you have here!

Harmonia
http://harmonia.blogsome.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, all I say these days is "small world." I used to work at Assumption in Seattle... and if you were at St Nicholas Ranch, I'm fairly sure from what you say that I've spoken to your husband (and possibly you--did you answer phones there ever?) several times. I feel so out of it, not even knowing about priest transfers, but hey, not working at a church has good things about it too. :)

Found your blog through Mimi (I am OCA and in Seattle), who found mine through someone else's and then we realized we know each other! Your blog is a good read :) and you sound really interesting.

--Liz

Anonymous said...

I entered my live journal page in the website thing, but it looks like it doesn't show it... maybe it does to you? Anyway, my blog is http://www.livejournal.come/users/lizziebennet

Elizabeth said...

Hi, Liz, and welcome! I'm glad you're here. I'm sure you spoke with my husband on the phone, and you may have spoken to me...I did answer phones very occasionally when he was swamped and had no one to help him out.

We're about to be really out of the loop now that Fr. Paul isn't working at the Metropolis anymore. He knew about EVERYTHING when he worked there. And usually it was Too Much Information. This is a very good move for us--he is enjoying his job here very much. And I am a lot more connected to the church and ministry and everything....I'm feeling quite in the limelight right now!

I'll come visit your blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth! I stumbled upon your blog via a link from Mimi's blog. I am a soon-to-be homeschooler, soon to be living in Portland (we're moving in August '06)... sounds like we'll need to hook up!

Are you already involved with the Village Home Education Center? Check it out... it looks amazing.

Elizabeth said...

Molly, thanks for stopping by! I looked at your blog, and loved it so much I've put up a link to it in my sidebar. I do hope to meet you when you move here! It's a great place to live. Unschoolers, unite!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I knew I'd talked to Fr. Paul. I remember having to call him about various things.

I understand the TMI thing totally--on a parish level, (being the secretary) you end up knowing too much too. It was so strange but such a relief in a lot of ways not to be there anymore, and NOT to know all that stuff. But being at a parish is probably better that being at the Ranch from that point of view. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. But it must be an adjustment for you, going to being the Presvytera of a parish. That can be intense. Had you done that before? (I can't tell for sure where all you've been.) And Holy Trinity isn't the smallest place in the world. I greatly admire and respect all of you who deal with the church politics stuff and stay sane. :)

--Liz

Elizabeth said...

Hi, Liz,
No, this is Fr. Paul's first parish assignment. We've been to: the diocese (as Dn. Paul, assistant to Met. Anthony), St. Nicholas Ranch, and the Metropolis (diocese again, as chancellor, just different name. :-). He never asked for these, um, abnormal assignments, but he learned a great deal from them. But we were both ready for a parish assignment! And I don't know about getting through church politics sane. I'm not joking about that. There were times that we were ready to leave altogether because what we were seeing was so totally un-Christian and against everything we believed in. I think I shared a bit in my "conversion" story in October (which turned out to be more like a life story....and is plenty long! Have an hour or so set aside before you start reading it....).

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I know about the not being sure about the staying sane. Really. I don't think I could do it. What I went through and I know, is not even a tenth of what you and other clergy families do, and I didn't talk about it to most people (friends, etc, I wouldn't to people in the church anyway) because it freaked them out so much. I'm just glad there are people who care. And hey, now things will seem better, maybe, because I bet the whole Metropolis thing was a trial by fire!

We need the people who are disturbed by this stuff, to be there, so maybe some of it can change, but... yes. I'm impressed.

I will look at your conversion story when I get a chance... I am a convert too.