Monday, March 5, 2007

The Teen in the House

13 years ago yesterday I was walking with Paul into the hospital at 3 am. I'd been woken at 2 am with my water breaking and contractions too close together to even stop and time, and we hurriedly gathered up everything we'd need and headed out. As we walked the path to the emergency room entrance, I was in thought--the first time I'd had time to think since labor started. Then I said, "March 4th." Paul looked thoughtful, then said, "Yes, we are." "No," I said, "The baby's birthday! This baby will be born on March 4th!" (If you don't get it, read it out loud.)

And she was, just three hours later. It was Carissa (as she was known then) who made me a mom, and who really, in large part, made me who I am today. She has always questioned everything, forcing me to, as well. I sometimes get complimented on how I've raised a feminist daughter, but I always deny that I've done that. She turned me into a feminist, not the other way around. When she was only 1 year old, I'd observe a squirrel or other little animal and say, "look, there's a squirrel! He's carrying a nut." And she'd always say, without exception, "No, SHE is carrying a nut!" And that's only the beginning of her feminism. :-)

Hibi is a woman of convictions. She changed her own name at age 8, and insisted that we call her by her new name, Hibiscus or Hibi for short. When Paul and I became vegetarians when she was 6, she was so mad at me for not cooking meat anymore that she wouldn't eat anything I cooked. She'd get her own dinner, even if it was just yogurt (no meat, because I didn't keep it in the house) because she wanted to make her own decisions. But at age 10, she decided on her own to go even further than we had and become a vegan. Even when being a vegan is very difficult, and it would be easy to make exceptions now and then, she has stuck with her principles. If you ever have a spare hour and would like to here about the treatment of animals to produce our food, just ask her why she doesn't eat milk/eggs/honey/meat. She'll be happy to give you all kinds of research.

Hibi has turned out to be a fantastic artist. She really turns out some good work and I'm excited to see what she makes of her talent as she grows.

Happy Birthday, sweet Hibiscus! I'm so glad you're my daughter.

************************************************

Here are both Hibi and Zac with their birthday presents! Zac got roller blades, and Hibi got a skateboard. Yes, they both have helmets, and yes, they will be wearing them regularly. (Right, kids?)

We had a great time bowling with a few of Hibi's friends last night, followed by some wonderful pizza at Mississippi Pizza. Cheeseless for Hibi and one other vegan friend.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday, Hibi! (and Elizabeth). For some reason, Hailey turning 13 felt like a big deal to me. Here's to our beautiful 13 year old, independent women!

Susan said...

Happy Birthday Hibi!!
You are a most excellent feminist:)
Continue to always be true to yourself.
Congratulations Presv Elizabeth for raising such an independent young child.

Mimi said...

Happy, happy Birthday Hibi! And, I agree, happy birthday to you too, Presbytera Elizabeth!

DebD said...

Happy Birthday to Hibi!