Thursday, August 17, 2006

Summer Camp

We've all been at summer church camp this week--Hibi and Zac as campers, and Fr. Paul and I have both helped out. It's been so fun! Reminds us so much of being at St. Nicholas Ranch--summer camp was our favorite time of year there, even though it was SO hot there (not so hot here, though everyone else was complaining on Sunday and Monday when it was 90 degrees....at least it wasn't 105, *and* it cooled down after that!) and also even though it meant that Paul worked 15 hour days. The last year we were there we had three sessions of camp, meaning that he worked like that for three solid weeks, with just Saturday afternoon and evening off. But the connections that are made at summer camp just can't be beat.

I had some great camp experiences when I was a kid. I started attending summer camp when I was about Zac's age, and I can remember the wonderful connection with my counselors. It's just nice at that age to have someone who isn't your parents' age, but is a "grown-up", to be special friends with. To begin getting good, positive influence from sources outside your family at that age is a good thing.

Yesterday I helped out with the prosphoro-making (communion bread). The women in charge of prosphoro at camp have been doing this for a jillion years, so it was interesting to watch their process. I've lead groups in doing it before, but no one taught me how to make it. One big difference was that they had the kids knead the dough in the mixing bowl. I've always kneaded bread on a countertop or a board. One of the women told me that in her village in Greece, every family had a big wooden bowl for just this purpose--mixing and kneading the dough. I asked the (younger) female director about this tradition, and she said "oh! I have my family's bowl at home!" So I suppose this is a cultural difference. I'm wondering how it came about, because to me, kneading on a flat surface is a whole lot easier.

But those women are getting older, and are getting ready to retire from this job, so I'd imagine it might just pass on to me. I enjoy doing this with the kids, even though it's a lot of work and even more mess. It's worth doing, worth helping them to understand their faith, it's traditions, and a very basic understanding of where their food comes from.

You can see some pictures of summer camp here, and when I say "some" I mean a whole ton of pictures. To do some pre-sifting for you: here's a cute one of Hibi, all ready for the square dance, and here's one of Zac with his picture frame he made. (Everyone said, it matches your shirt!) If you look through the pics, you'll even see some of me doing square dancing, in my tie-dyed shirt. I haven't looked through them all, but I haven't seen one of the prosphoro making. Ah, here's a good one of Paul, in his denim clergy shirt!

I'm not seeing any pictures of church out in the outdoor chapel, which is really pretty and simple and woodsy. And my camera is at the shop. So, unless Jacob uploads some today, I doubt you'll see any!

Heading back tonight, after my Spanish class, to see camp wrap up and bring my futon mattress home. (Best idea I've had in years, to bring a futon! The beds there leave much to be desired!) See ya after camp!

2 comments:

Christina said...

I went to Campe Angelos the first year that they had campers. And I remember being taught how to make prosphora which, years later while I was working for Project Mexico, came in very handy (during the summers at Project Mexico I was making all the prosphora every week). I now am on the rotating prosphora bakers list at St. John's. But I have fond memories of Camp and I eventually worked at a different camp every summer while I was in college:)

monica said...

In romania they have a special wooden "kneading bowl" for bread. It is long and wide and would be horrible for any mixing, but good fo kneading. i bet the tradition comes from not having modern kitchens with lots of counterspace, but usually having just a wood stove, buckets and a table (and sometimes a couch!!) in your country kitchen. not even a sink!