Thursday, August 17, 2006

Please pray

While at seminary, we met some extraordinary people, among them Nathan and Lynette Hoppe. Nathan did not plan to be a priest, as most of the students there did, but to go out as a missionary. They knew where, too: Albania. We all just knew that Nathan and Lynette would be wonderful missionaries; they were kind and vibrant people.

About a year and a half ago Lynette was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer. The doctors tried to treat it, she tried alternative treatements and changing her diet. Nothing has worked to slow the cancer.

They returned to Albania this summer and have had a productive time there. But on Monday I was distressed to learn that what had been just a tiny bit of cancer in her liver has turned into full-blown cancer. The doctors at that time told her she only had a few weeks left to live.

Today I received an email that said that Lynette, who has had pretty good energy and has seemed quite healthy up until now, has begun to have episodes of incoherency and to lose motor skills. She dropped her water glass several times today, Nathan said. The doctors say she will probably be like this for about a week, then drop into unconsciousness for another week and then pass on.

I grieve for her, but more for the loss to this world, and for Nathan and their two children. Please pray for a swift painless death for Lynette.

6 comments:

chickie said...

May the Lord have mercy on the Hoppe family and grant her a peaceful repose.

Her story in The Handmaiden was an inspiration. Thanks for posting this update.

Peace,
Kari - a (former?) lurker

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Lord have mercy.

Although I do not know them personally I have been praying for them and following thier story. I am so sorry to hear this latest news. Indeed it is the world's loss and I do so grieve for her husband and those precious children. Lynette has fought a very noble fight and continues to imspire. She is an example to all.

Harmonia said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and all of the health issues and emotional issues her and her family are going thru.

Mimi said...

Lord have Mercy - I've been reading all over the Blogosphere stories of how wonderful she is and how saddened people are by her illness.

karrie said...

How heartbreaking! I cannot imagine how painful it must be to know that one day your loved one is dropping a glass and the next week will likely be in a coma. So sad...

Lynette and her family are in my thoughts.

Susan said...

She has my prayers, as well as you. It is so difficult to lose someone close.
My problems seem so small in comparison.