Monday, July 3, 2006

This and That; a post on nothing much

Wow...haven't posted in a while. I was going to post about going berry picking on Thursday, but I wanted to post pictures, and when I went to upload them my camera wouldn't do it. Doesn't seem the USB cord is working right, or maybe it's the connection on the camera that isn't working right. So, anyway, we went to a u-pick farm in Hillsboro and picked boysenberries, raspberries, and a small amount of tayberries, which are a cross between blackberries and raspberries. They taste unnaturally sweet to Paul and me, and we'd not have taken any at all but the kids didn't think they tasted weird. We got a whole bucketful of boysenberries, because I could make my very favorite kind of pie with them. And indeed, I have used them all up, even though I'd frozen some--but I needn't have bothered. We went over to some friends' house last night and I brough two pies there, where they were oohed and ahhed at. :-) They were fairly swooning! I *love* boysenberry pie. And we had such a wonderful time with our friends--we knew the husband from seminary, and we've only just started to get to know the wife, and am happy to know her.

So, anyway....sorry, there's no real point of this post, which I don't usually like to do, but I thought I'd let you all know we're here and well and enjoying the wonderful weather.

Paul and I are preparing to head to Nashville for the GOA's Clergy Laity Congress. (If you're not Greek Orthodox, read that as "humongous church conference.") Neither of us have ever been to Nashville, and we're getting excited about it! I know it'll be hot and humid, but I suppose we'll just have to deal with that. If anyone has any suggestions for must-sees, I'd appreciate it! We've bought tickets to the Grand Ol' Opry, even though it seems like it might be just a tad cheesy....(Gaither Trio is playing the night we go....one of my parents' favorites....I never had any aspirations to see them in concert. ;-) and we are planning to go to the Bluebird Cafe, where they have live music every night and a lot of big name musicians had their start. We hope to go on a Sunday night, which should be a little tamer than Friday or Saturday, and they showcase up-and-coming musicians. They do take reservations, but only up to a week in advance, so I'll have to call next Monday.

It'll just be Paul and me going (and several hundred other Greek Orthodox clergy, clergy families, and lay people...) and Paul's parents are coming from Tucson to stay with the kids. Everyone will have a great time, I'm sure!

Oh, I forgot to say that Paul is presenting his translation work at Clergy Laity! He has been translating four homilies of St. Basil that haven't ever been translated into English before, on the topics of poverty and social justice. He's close to being done...he just needs time to finish it up. But he'll be giving a 20 minute talk with a 10 minute question and answer session, about St. Basil's work and how it relates to ministry to the poor. Very cool!

Have a happy Fourth of July, everyone! We haven't decided what we're doing yet, but hopefully it'll culminate with some fireworks. :-)

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I've been to Nashville - it's very pretty and the sweet tea is INCREDIBLE. Have a glass for me.