Thursday, May 25, 2006

Shepherd's Pie

I got the idea for what to make for last night's dinner from Denise. I liked her suggestion that one could use lentils in the pie, since I don't like TVP. But I decided to fuse that idea with my mom's way of making "hamburger pie" which I grew up with. When I went to the farmer's market, I looked for vegetables that were in season to use--you could use just about any vegetables you want. I used carrots and asparagus. Here's the result.




First, I had some water I saved from soaking sun-dried tomatoes in the other night when I made pizza. I think this added enough flavor to recommend using soaking water, and you could even add the sun-dried tomatoes to the mix, even though I didn't. Add them when you add the canned tomatoes, later.

Anyway, I cooked a cup of French lentils in the soaking water, adding water and a bit of red wine when it needed more liquid. Cook until tender--but they don't have to be mushy tender, just tender enough to eat.

Then I put on a pot of cut-up potatoes (I didn't peel the potatoes, but if you don't like skins in your mashed potatoes, peel them) on the stove, covered in water. Cook those until tender. I used, oh, probably about 6 med-large potatoes-worth (some were smaller, so I used more).

Here's where I diverged to make one vegan pie and one regular vegetarian. (This uses rather a lot of pots, even if I hadn't made two different pies!) I put one large saute pan on with a tablespoon of butter, and a smaller skillet on with olive oil. I added a couple of chopped spring onions, white part only (maybe only available at farmer's markets--and only at this time of year) and sauteed. I saved the greens to add at the end. Then came four sliced carrots and 4 cloves of garlic, sauteeing them until the carrots are tender-crisp. Then I added two tablespoons of flour to the large, 1/2 tablespoon to the small, and stirred until the flour was cooked a bit. Then I took one 28 oz. can of tomatoes, which I'd used my stick blender and made into a puree (or you could just buy puree) and added that to the pans. Stir and cook, then add a bit of milk/soy milk to the mix. Stir and cook, until it's bubbly and thickened. Then I added a pound of asparagus, chopped fine (because said vegan daughter says she doesn't like asparagus--well, she does now, in this recipe!) and add the sliced greens from the onions, and a handful of chopped parsley. Salt and pepper. Stir in the lentils. Turn off heat and put aside.

I mashed the potatoes in the usual way: with milk, butter, salt and pepper for the non-vegans, oil and soy milk and salt and pepper for the vegan.

Put each of the veggie fillings in their own dish, and top with mashed potatoes. For the non-vegan, I put slices of cheese on top. Put in a 350 degree oven and bake until the cheese is beginning to melt and the filling is bubbly, about 20 minutes.

We all really liked this! It was so flavorful.

No comments: