Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Pascha Bread

Here's my Pascha Bread recipe. Sorry, vegan friends, I don't know if there's any hope for this one. But one vegan friend said she'd try to veganize it. We'll see!

One year I tried to turn it whole wheat. Paul said it tasted like a hearty, whole wheat bread masquerading as a sweet, light, fluffy nothing bread. I went back to plain old white from then on. We usually eat whole wheat....we can do with white once a year or so!

And yes, I'm spelling Pascha two different ways, as it's a Greek word and not exactly transcribed into the English. And it's a shameless ploy for more keywords. :-)

Paska Bread (from the Lenten cookbook Food for Paradise, adapted for home use)

2 packages dry yeast (or 4 teaspoons)
¼ cup lukewarm water
1 cup melted butter
¾ cup milk
5 cups unbleached white flour
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
diluted egg

Dissolve yeast in water and set aside. Combine in a large bowl butter and milk. Sift together white flour, sugar, and salt. Add the yeast mixture to the cooled wet ingredients. Beat eggs and add alternately with the dry ingredients. Knead until smooth, adding flour as needed. Let rise until doubled in bulk; it rises quite quickly and high. Punch down, knead and put into prepared greased pans (use a big round pan, or a couple of smaller pans). Allow to rise until doubled in bulk. Decorate the tops with crosses made from rolled dough. Brush the tops with diluted egg. Bake in preheated 350 oven for about an hour. Remove from the pan while hot, running a knife around the edges if necessary. Gently tip loaves out onto towels and cool on racks. This traditionally is not frosted or baked with fruit.

Delicious slathered with the Pascha cheese I posted earlier!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is a silly question, but could this be used to make the braided kind of bread thing? That a lot of Greek churches seem to have, with the red egg? I have been wanting to make that. This recipe seems quite simple... I might be able to try it on Saturday morning. I have *no* other time to get ready for Pascha... Sigh. I should bake bread, I'd really like to have some.

Elizabeth said...

I am sure you could use the same dough to make the braided bread with eggs in it, but as for the how, I don't know. I've never done the tsoureki. I have done a braided bread, years ago, and it came out quite nicely. I'm sure you could find instructions online if you did a google search. But the traditional tsoureki has anise in it, which I get kind of tired of, as Greeks put it in everything.

Anonymous said...

I think this bread sounds really good... I'm not very fond of the fruit/anise type bread--I don't like anise, which makes things difficult with Greek flavoring! I will eat tsourekia if it's there, but I wouldn't make it for myself, I don't really like it. Maybe I'll try to braid it, and see how it works. I am getting excited about making bread for Pascha, especially since it looks like I'm going to have very little candy, due to not having bought it early enough/in the right places. I'll have bread and eggs and cheese...

Mimi said...

I love anise.

Elizabeth said...

Here's a link to an Easter bread that's braided:
http://creampuffsinvenice.typepad.com/cream_puffs_in_venice/2006/04/my_mothers_east.html

Susan said...

I think I will try this. Christina sprays the top of bread (Artoclasia) with ouzo. (anise)
I think that might be good with this bread.

Anonymous said...

Christ is Risen! Christos Anesti!

I made your bread, Presvytera Elizabeth, and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I made a big loaf, in a cake pan, and I braided it in a circle. It was gorgeous, and it tasted great. I made the Pascha cheese recipe you posted too, which was great (I like it better than traditional Russian Pascha cheese).) I might need to make more bread, actually... I left the bread at home while I went to an Agape Vespers feast, and when I came back, my roommate and two people she had over had eaten all but a small chunk of it--it was that good!

theprof said...

My wife lost her recipe and I found yours and it sounds close to what she has used in the past. We will make one change and substitute condensed milk for regular milk. Hope it turns out well. Thanks for the recipe.
Xpictoc Bockrece!