Monday, January 16, 2006

Our Day

MLK day! I never posted about Epiphany, and I had some thoughts I wanted to share, too. But we're past Epiphany and I was too busy to post so I'll post about MLK day.

I really wanted to attend an event today, because we did last year in San Francisco and it was such an amazing experience. That was the first time I heard the Glide church choir, and I think I sobbed all through it, as well as the part of a speech that they played of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s.

So, I found an event I wanted to attend, but I first wanted to get something else done. We're usually terrible at thank you notes. But this year I wanted to light a fire under my kids and get them to do them! So, I sat down with them (the only tried and true method of getting them to do anything is to do it with them) and we all made thank you notes. Except that long after I was done, and long after Hibi was done, Zac still hadn't finished one. I looked at what he was doing. He had drawn one picture and decided it wasn't good enough. Then he'd drawn another picture, but it had to be perfect. That was for one thank you note, but just a picture wasn't enough. He had to write a comic strip, since it was the money that came from this person that he bought the full set of Calvin and Hobbes with, which has inspired his drawing comics. So he had to draw four panels and put in dialogue as well. And he had to have everything spelled out for him, because he didn't want to mispell anything!

It took us 3 hours and 15 minutes, to get my 3 thank you notes done, Hibi's 4 thank you notes done, and Zac's 5 thank you notes done. I was ready to get out by then!

We had the usual program filled with cute kids' choirs, speakers awarding plaques for service to the community, and other performances. There was one choir that I was magnetized to. It was a women's choir, and they accept anyone who wants to join. They sing for peace and justice issues, as well as feminist ideals. Here's the themes of their music from their website:
Celebrating women
Performing a variety of music
Honoring life and humanity in all its diversity

Cool, huh! I knew immediately I want to get involved. I just have to get more info, which I've emailed for.

A good day, though Paul wasn't able to join us. He had a funeral to do today and house blessings. But as I was listening to a speech on the radio from MLK, I thought: we don't have any leaders like that now, and we so sorely need one.

UPDATE: Just as I was posting this, I got an email from a leader of the choir, saying they're full up for this term, but I can get on the waiting list for next term, starting in September. So I did. :-)

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Giggle. I can totally see Zac doing that!

Poor guy.