Monday, January 2, 2006

Bread

I usually make all my breads from _Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book_, which is the only book I've ever seen that uses only whole grain flours in all of its recipes. But it does take a little more work than "regular" bread. Just before Christmas, when we were out of bread and I had company coming and time was at a premium, I decided to use a recipe that came from a book I was reading, _The Baker's Apprentice_. Good book, too! I read _Isabel's Daughter_ by the same author during our move and enjoyed it enough to seek out another book by the same author. Now I want to read _Bread Alone_.

Anyway, the bread is called Tyler's Indian Maiden Bread because the baker who made it was questioned about the name Squaw Bread, saying that squaw was a derogatory word for a native American woman, and it also referred to female anatomical parts. (That latter one I'd never heard of....) The bread was delicious, and I was typing it out this morning because Paul's dad asked for the recipe and I want to keep it myself after I turn the book into the library. I thought I might as well post it here! It's a yummy bread.

I did make some modifications. I ended up letting it rise twice, as I usually do for Laurel's Kitchen bread, before shaping because we were going out for dinner right when it was ready to shape and I deflated it and put it in the fridge for a second rising. And I used my baking stone instead of baking it on cookie sheets, and I raised the temp accordingly....I think probably to 450, but maybe only 425. Here it is:

Tyler’s Indian Maiden Bread (from the book _The Baker’s Apprentice_)

2 cups water
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup molasses
½ cup raisins
5 tablespoons brown sugar
2 packages dry yeast
½ cup warm water
2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rye flour
2 ½ teaspoons salt
½ cup cornmeal
½ cup oat flour
cornmeal for dusting

Combine the water, oil, molasses, raisins and brown sugar in a blender and liquefy. Soften the yeast in the warm water. Sift together 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour, the 1 cup rye flour, and the salt in a large bowl. Add the molasses and yeast mixtures. Beat at medium speed until smooth, 2 minutes. Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flours to make a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl. Remember, the moisture content of various flours can vary widely. You may not need all the flour called for. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and satiny, 10 to 12 minutes. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to oil entire surface. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 ½ hours. Punch down and let rest 10 minutes. Divide into 4 round loaves and place on cookie sheets covered with parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 hour. Bake at 375F for 30 to 35 minutes.

No comments: