Friday, October 7, 2005

Pizza and a Movie night

Yum, yum. I have a new favorite flavor of pizza! In our CSA newsletter a couple of weeks ago, there was a feature about three guys who work for Eatwell (our CSA), having a "test kitchen" (good excuse to have fun in the kitchen and have something yummy to eat!). They made fig pizza! It seemed quite intriguing, and I knew I had to find out what fig pizza tasted like. So, tonight I made pizza on my baking stone, two kinds--fig and our perennial favorite, with fresh heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella. I have to say I liked the fig even better than our old favorite! It had figs, walnuts and red onions sauteed in olive oil, and blue cheese (a wonderful blue called Crater Lake Blue from the Rogue Creamery, which we got on our trip to Ashland--I don't think I mentioned that we went to Ashland and saw Love's Labor's Lost when we went to Patrick's Point campout). Too bad it's almost the end of fig season!

We ate our pizza while we watched a movie. No light viewing--we saw a movie called The Weather Underground. It's about the anti-war group during the Vietnam era that bombed buildings that were connected to war operations. It started out with gruesome footage of butchered bodies and mangled people in Vietnam. I didn't think I was going to be able to stay in the room, but just about the time I was about to leave....the carnage stopped (on the screen) and went on with the response of the anti-war movement of the time. What was excruciatingly fascinating was the modern-day interviews with the people who were intensely involved in the movement, because some were not so sure that what they did was right, and yet saw and see no other alternative. When we really look at the violence wrought by our government in our names, and we can choose to do nothing and continue with our neat little lives, or to make a huge stink (which may or may not accomplish more than the latter), which are we to choose? I don't think there's an easy answer to this question. We were left with the question, as Paul said, what reason do we have to not do the same as they did? I don't have an answer.

Tomorrow I think we're going to see something a bit less heavy....the new Wallace and Gromit movie! In other news of the day, I met the aforementioned cyber acquaintance, and am pleased to report that now she's a real-live friend. :-) Hi, Alice! Enjoyed our lunch together! And in yet other news, Hibi sprained her ankle. Phew, what a day!

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Hum. I'm not a big fig person, but that does sound wonderful!

I missed Ashland this year, but we went last year.