Saturday, October 1, 2005

Ow, ow, ow....

I learned years ago, the hard way, to wear gloves when chopping up hot chiles. Hot chiles burn the hands worse than they burn the tongue, because the burn lingers for hours. Tonight I was making chile relleno (which the non-vegan contingent of our family *loves*) and I was sure to wear gloves while chopping up the jalepeno for the ranchero sauce. But I didn't wear gloves while working with the peppers to be stuffed. I usually buy Anaheim chiles for chile relleno, but this time the Anaheims were skinny and shriveled, not good for stuffing. So I think I got poblanos, which should have been fairly mild. As I was walking to the dinner table to eat, my hands were beginning to tingle, but I thought nothing of it. But when I took my first bite--oh my gosh, that's hot! Paul was eating his happily--he enjoys spicy, but after awhile, noting my discomfort both in my mouth and hands, he wondered if I'd gotten an especially hot one. He was glad when he got the last one, but he wasn't happy for long--another super hot one!

So, I'm typing alternating with putting my hand in ice water.

In other news....Hibi decided to wait until Zac was almost done with fifth disease and then get it herself. Yup, looks very likely that she has it now.


UPDATE: Hibi's rash has not progressed since Saturday night (It's mid-day Monday now) so it's either a very mild case, or she doesn't have it. Now, is she contagious? Hmm....ah, parenthood, one fun decision after another....

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I'm sorry Hibi has Fifth Disease.

I'm the wimpy part of our couple, I'm always crying my way through (my husband's idea of a mild) dinner, gulping milk and saying "it's good, really"

Elizabeth said...

Paul did/does have it--he was diagnosed. I asked him this morning how his rash was, and he said it wasn't bothering him.....I don't know if it's even still there, I haven't looked lately, and he hasn't either, apparently.

He even got out of jury duty because of fifth disease!