Friday, October 28, 2005

Moving

Paul told me last night that the movers will pack everything for us. How decadent! And yesterday morning we talked about getting the housecleaner who does the metropolis house whom he has become friends with to come help us with cleaning. He said it'll cost us $100 for the day. That sounds well worth it to me!

The only thing that bothers me about movers packing us up is they waste so much paper and plastic. We had them do some when we moved from Boston to San Francisco, and we'd find a box with scads of paper and one little thing in it. And it's all new paper, not re-used newspaper like I use when I'm packing. Aside from being so wasteful, I also have to deal with what to do with all that waste! I think I'll do some packing myself. But it's nice to know I can stop whenever I want. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not all packers are that wasteful. We've had good packers and not so good packers. My inlaws have moved often, and they report the same.

Mimi said...

I've never had movers, but it sounds so luxurious. Can you leave out some piles of newspapers for them to use?

Otherwise, just recycle on the other side. I know, my environmental card may be in danger of being taken away, but it's what I'd do.

magda said...

Papier-mâché?

Elizabeth said...

Hey, Magda, welcome! I just quickly looked at your blog (don't have a whole lot of time because I'm using a computer at the library in Portland) but I was interested that you're a seminary wife at Holy Cross. One of your pictures, the one of the flowers in the windowsill, made me think that perhaps you live in the same apartment we did while at Holy Cross. We lived in number 64. Of course, it could have been any of the upper apartments in Dendrinos. When I get back home on my own computer, I will read your blog more thoroughly (I also have a whiny 8 year old who has *nothing to do* sitting by my side....) but for now, all the best to you at the seminary! Enjoy your time there. I was told it while we were there, and it's true, that you won't ever be in the same kind of community again and have that kind of support as you do there. Of course, you also have to endure the politics that close to the epicenter of Orthodoxy in the US....