Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Cindy can't do it alone

I read in this morning's newspaper that Cindy Sheehan is calling it quits. She's not going to protest the war anymore or try to get an audience with President Bush. She's just going to go home and try to live a normal life. She feels betrayed by Congress, who after an amazing show of bravery on the Iraq front, decided to go ahead and give in to what Bush wanted as far as this "surge" goes. Why? I can't figure it out. Can someone explain to me why we elected a Democratic Congress? To act like this? What good did it do?

I really feel for Cindy. Here she's put it all on the line, giving up years of her life to try to get this war turned around, stop the killing of innocents in Iraq and stop the meaningless slaughter of our own soldiers. According to www.iraqbodycount.org, at least 64,632 Iraqi civilians have been killed by combat since we started this pre-emptive war. 3,465 US soldiers have been killed in that time. Just this month, so far, 113 have been killed.

When will be stop this bloodshed? How will more killing end the killing? Cindy, I'm with you--in feeling that this country is way out of wack with real life. I don't blame you for throwing in the towel. I just hope at some point you'll be swept in another wave of patriotism that proclaims that we will do no more killing in the name of peace, and that you won't be the only voice crying in the wilderness.

1 comment:

Magpie Ima said...

I cried when I read her letter because I feel so badly for her and for all of us. What a tragic mess we're in and it does look like no one's committed to changing things.