Monday, May 14, 2007

"Grab the nearest book" meme

I just saw this on Nissa's blog, and thought I'd just look to see what the nearest book was...

Grab the nearest book.
1. Open it to page 161.
2. Find the fifth full sentence.
3. Post the text of the sentence along with these instructions.
4. Don’t search around looking for the coolest book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you

So, when I looked to see what the nearest book is, I found....my Bible. Really. I don't even see any other books in the room. Doesn't that make me sound so spiritual! Godly, even. Okay, so let's see what's the fifth sentence on page 161. Uh, so page 161 is still in the Biblical Cyclopedic Index, and there *are no* complete sentences. Thus fails this meme. But the fifth term there is:

Hophni--fighter

Who, as it turns out, was the son of Eli, called "reprobates", guilty of unlawful practices, immoral, Eli's warnings rejected by, cursed by a man of God, warned by Samuel, ark takent to battle by, slain in battle, and news of, causes Eli's death. At least according to my Biblical Cyclopedic Index.

I wonder if this is an omen of some type?

If you'd like to do this meme, let me know in the comments and I'll come check it out!

3 comments:

Heather Madrone said...

"Contented simply to be less tired than she had been the night before, she stood a moment, drinking in the sense of relaxation." The Blue Sword bu Robin McKinley.

The first book I picked up was _Writing Nonfiction_, which ends on page 156. The second was _The Ultimate French Review and Practice_. While hunting for the appropriate sentence, I noticed _The Blue Sword_ on the floor, a step closer.

The applicable sentence from the French book is "Oui, mais c'est ca, la vie." (Yes, but that's life.)

Elizabeth said...

Huh. Those two sentences do go together, don't they?

•L¥ÇÅN• said...

OK I did it. So now you can actually see at my blog. :)