Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Garden, May 2007

Update of my garden! Actually, this first radish picture is from...maybe three weeks ago? I've been getting radishes for quite some time already. They are very rewarding! Easy to grow and quick, and what beautiful jewel colors!

Here's some of the tomato plants. I had originally thought, "I want 10 tomato plants this year!" (I had three last year.) And I went crazy buying them from the farmer's market, and then I had six. I thought, oh, that's enough. But then a. my neighbor brought me a cherry tomato plant when she went looking for a specific kind she likes--one for her and one for me! Isn't that nice of her? and b. I realized that I didn't have any of the same varieties that I grew last year, and I was so pleased with how they turned out. So, I bought those varieties today and planted them. It was after I planted those that I thought, gee, our garden is looking swell! I should take some pictures. And here they are. CarrotsPeas (the tall ones) and beans (still pretty short); radishes in the fore and tomatoes in the back

The beautiful radishes I picked today. Did you know that in addition to being a tasty snack out of hand, you can cook radishes? I like them in stews and stir-fries. You can also add the greens.
Kale! It's big enough to think about what I'd like to first make with it. Caldo Verde, or something different? I think I might just serve it tomorrow night when we go for house duty at the Dorothy Day house, all by itself, sauteed with garlic, alongside some pita veggie "patty melt" sandwiches that I found the recipe for in the Oregonian yesterday. We bought five blueberry bushes when we first made the garden, and they are doing so well! I think we're going to have a lot of berries, for a first year. There were lots of blossoms.Basil! My very favorite garden plant! It's coming up all over here, but it's been growing so slowly that I got impatient and bought a plant today and plunked it in the middle. We've already been enjoying basil from the farmer's market--we just ate pasta with pesto for dinner tonight.And the whole garden. We've been enjoying it immensely.



8 comments:

Molly Newman said...

Your garden looks both beautiful and delicious. Those tomatoes look divine! Are we moving to Portland too late to plant?

(Also: you need to enable Typepad comments, so I can post as my real actual self and not my workin' girl self!)

DebD said...

Wow! What a beautiful looking garden. I love the look of carrots in the garden...very pretty.

Hope you have a bountiful crop.

Elizabeth said...

Molly--if you told me exactly when you're moving, I've forgotten, but I don't think you'll be too late. Today I saw some gallon containers of tomato plants--that'd probably be a good bet for you, to get plants that are a little further along. Do you have a good garden space? That'd help immensely, but last year I got old drawers from the ReBuilding Center (okay, once you get here we're going to have to take a field trip there) and used them as planters, and my tomatoes turned out beautifully!

Typepad comments? I didn't even know that was a possibility. I'll go check through the settings.

Deb--I love how the whole thing looks, and will even more when it's grown in more! :-) Nothing prettier than a growing garden.

Molly Newman said...

We'll be in Portland June 4, if all goes well. Woo-hoo! Thought maybe it would be fun to get together a couple weeks after we arrive with some of our Portland blog/IRL buddies and have a mezze. What do you think?

Elizabeth said...

Sounds great to me!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, and I'm not seeing how to enable Typepad comments. Maybe someone more computer savvy could help me out here? I decided to only allow registered users to post because of some not-so-nice comments I was getting, and that definitely made for nicer comments. But I'm happy to help users of other media comment on my blog, if I can.

Mimi said...

Yum! The garden grows well!

My oldest son eats radishes like candy (sadly, I eat candy like candy :) )

Mimi said...

Thought maybe it would be fun to get together a couple weeks after we arrive with some of our Portland blog/IRL buddies and have a mezze. What do you think?


I think it sounds awesome, and I hope I'm a Portland blog/IRL buddy.