Saturday, May 19, 2007

Kitchen Work

We've gotten lots of outside projects done at our house in these six months we've lived here (yeah, it's been that long!) but not much inside besides just plain old organizing. Today we decided that there were things that *had* to be addressed in the kitchen. We started noticing quite soon after we moved in that there was something not quite right about the cabinets....they are beautiful, but the hinges were coming loose. We've thought that the wrong hinges were used, but it wasn't quite that bad. It's that they used 1/2 inch screws. What were they thinking? That isn't going to hold anything! So, the first project of the day is that Paul replaced every cabinet hinge screw with much longer ones.

This cabinet, I've thought ever since we moved in, need more shelves. It had wood in the back but no tracks to put them up. Paul got them installed today. Now I have much more useable space in there and I don't have stuff all piled up on each other.

And I'd thought as soon as I saw this cabinet that it would be the perfect place to store flat pans upright. Until I opened it and found a shelf in there! So Paul took it out today and now I can line up my cookie sheets and pizza pan and muffin tins and cooling racks.And here there was a disaster! Just too disorganized. There was no shelf in this cabinet either, and all my appliances were in great disarray. Paul installed a half-shelf and now everything just fits in there perfectly!


And, after all that hard work, I decided to make my first ice cream of the season in my Donvier. Easiest ice cream maker ever. Cookies and Cream!


3 comments:

DebD said...

Everything looks so lovely! I grew up enjoying my grandparents handcrank homemade ice cream - I just love the "real" thing. Enjoy.

Unknown said...

Yay! I really need to address some kitchen issues as well. A few things just aren't working or have fallen into the not working catagory.

Mimi said...

That is so awesome! Great cabinet work, Father Paul!