Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Christ is Risen!

This is the greeting that we Orthodox Christians say over and over, sing a multitude of times, and celebrate, starting on Pascha (Easter) which was yesterday, the same day as the Western Easter this year, until we celebrate the Ascension of Christ in 40 days from Pascha.

I just read an amazingly accurate description of Holy Week and Pascha online, and then realized at the end of it that it was written by the wife of Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson. He married a Greek woman and became Orthodox himself and we even hear from the priest at his church that they do attend with some regularity.

We had a beautiful celebration yesterday and will continue to celebrate throughout the season. And today I had a nice lie-in....I'm exhausted! Mexico and then Holy Week really took it out of me.

8 comments:

DebD said...

Christ is Risen!

Indeed He is Risen!

thanks for all your informative help and encouragement to me this last week. Hope you've had a chance to fully recover.

Mimi said...

Indeed, He is Risen!

Wasn't that a great article? I've heard conflicting information about whether Tom converted or just attends - can you confirm?

Elizabeth said...

He did indeed convert and I believe, though I'm not certain, that it was Metropolitan Anthony himself who chrismated him.

Elizabeth said...

Deb--I'm glad you found my comments helpful! A blessed Bright Week to you.

Mimi said...

Thanks!

annie said...

He is Risen, indeed!
By the way, I made your Pascha bread and cheese this year. They were wonderful!!! (I posted a pic on my blog) Thanks for sharing the recipes. Have a blessed bright week!

Anna said...

Welcome to Portland! I stumbled upon your site and enjoyed a look around. I live southwest of the city, myself.

Which church is your husband at? A dear friend of my was married at the Gr. Orth. church on the Eastside. Beautiful.

Hope you are handling the schizophrenic weather...sunny and gorgeous then rainy and cold!
Anna

Elizabeth said...

Annie--your Pascha bread looks beautiful! I'll bet it tasted wonderful.

Anna--welcome! Yes, our church is the eastside church. (I usually keep the name of it private, for one little scrap of not giving too much info on the net, but I'll say it once--Holy Trinity on Glisan.) When was your friend married there? If it was within the last year and a half, my husband probably officiated at it. It is a beautiful church! We are blessed to be a part of the community there.

Yeah, we can handle the weather....we actually kind of like it! Yes, gray days get a little tiring, but there's nothing to compare to a beautiful June day in Portland.

I'm enjoying looking at your blog, Anna. Thanks for stopping by!