Monday, January 1, 2007

New Year's Cookies







New Year's Cookies, or Portzelkje, are a New Year's tradition in the Mennonite church. So yummy! One batch makes a whole bunch of fritters (they're really fritters, not cookies) so it helps to have lots of people on hand to help eat them. Melisa, Will, Simon, Jonah and Tovah were willing to take on this task.


Yes, Melisa takes on her duty of sugaring the fritters quite seriously. It involves a complex sugaring dance. Though I don't think that was the Mennonite's original intent. (I'm cracking myself up here. Must have had too much sugar.)


All the photo credits go to Hibi--I have been wanting to get more pictures onto my blog so I told her to please find the camera and take pictures. She did a good job.

8 comments:

Magpie Ima said...

It seems to me that when a Jew takes (an admittedly small) part in preparing a Mennonite dish in an Orthodox Christian home next to a Baptist church you'd have to expect things to get a little strange :-)

Thanks again!

Elizabeth said...

Ha! So that explains it! It was fun, whatever the explanation.

architect said...

I'm off to my mom's house to see if they have new years cookies... Don't like them enough to make a batch for me. =) Now peppernuts is another story. Love the sugar dance! =) Glad you've been able to break your new kitchen in. =)

architect said...

Oh shoot, I meant to add something like, Have a Happy Birthday!! (I'm in the ball park, right?)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Libby! Yeah, my birthday is on Sunday.

Ah, I guess you're more of a savory sweet kind of person. You'd like Greek pastry.

Mimi said...

I LOVE your kitchen! Gorgeous.

And, those look yummy. Great photo taking skills, Hibi!

architect said...

Aww, shucks. I'm a very savory sweet person. =)

Hybee said...

Heh. Didn't think you'd put those crazy pictures up. :-D (Although you didn't put up those other ones I took.)