Friday, January 12, 2007

My Cool Birthday Present

Before Christmas, we walked into a funky little art shop that's near our house to look around, see what they were selling, and meet some new neighbors. One artist's work really was striking to me, and the proprietor said, oh, that's Jennifer's work--she lives right down there in that funky storefront. Oh! She's our neighbor too! So, for my birthday, my family went down there to meet Jennifer and their intent was to buy something from her for my present. But Jennifer said, why not wait, and let her choose what she wants herself, and I'll paint it for her?

So today I went down and met Jennifer, who is a great person and has a cool little studio there. She talked me through, asking questions about what I like. She said that even though I didn't quite know what I wanted, her questions really would help her to narrow it down and she'd be able to figure out what would be right. And, if I don't like it, she said, she'd just sell it and paint me another!

So I chose a tree with a full moon and a mountain, painted in red as a primary color with orange and yellow. She uses recycled wood and she'll layer pieces together for a cool effect. I think it's going to be pretty neat! All I need to do now is clear a space for it to go on the wall.

If you want to see her work, it's here:
Jennifer Kapnek

6 comments:

Mimi said...

Oooh, what wonderful art! I hope you had a wonderful birthday! Many, many years!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, I did have a wonderful day! And, I keep meaning to tell you Mimi, thank you for the birthday card! You're really on top of it. I am terrible with getting out birthday cards!

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday! What a great present!

Susan said...

Many years Elizabeth. Your present sounds really special

Anonymous said...

wow, i love her work!

i hope you had a happy birthday!

Mimi said...

You are welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed!