Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Lovely Snow Day


Here's Hibi throwing a snowball at you! :-) Click to enlarge the picture.


We woke this morning a bit after 7 to snow that had just started, but already had accumulated quite a bit. It's been cold in Portland, rising not too far over freezing each day before it goes back under. So when the snow started falling it stuck like crazy because the ground was frozen. Which meant we got quite a bit of accumulation today!
The kids, of course, really enjoyed playing in it. And I suppose it could be blamed on the fact that I did most of my growing up in central California where we got no snow, but I truly enjoyed it, too. I like the small amount of snow we get in Portland. It happens just infrequently enough that you really can relax and enjoy a day at home without feeling like you're slacking. Which is sure a good thing, because even the busy road our back yard faces didn't get a whole lot of plowing.
One thing that was really nice about the day is that so many people were out and about in our neighborhood, on foot. So we met two neighbors we hadn't met before (they both have a child each! I didn't know so many children lived in our neighborhood, and these are both close in age to our kids) and called hello to more just passing by on the street. What a great community event snow is! It's happening to everyone around us the same as it's happening to us.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm envious of the snow! I still love it even though I grew up with it in MN! Look forward to seeing you on Thursday.

Mimi said...

Enjoy the snow and stay safe and warm!

annie said...

How beautiful! We are enjoying the cold here in California, as well. No snow in our yard, though.

Dar said...

Yeah, your cold weather looks fun! I want slow! We just have thick sheets of ice, which means I fall a lot...

monica said...

we are green with jealousy here in romania. No real snow yet this year, only one yucky sleety slush storm. Urge your friends to stop driving SUVs for no other reason that my son can have some snow to play in!
Happy Belated Birthday!! La Multi Ani!