Friday, December 29, 2006

58

Paul and Hibi did a count of how many recessed bucket lights there are in our house. That's how many: 58. We will never want for lighting around here, as the electrician who lived here before went a little crazy! However, we may want for cash to pay the electric bill....

So begins the greening of our house. We're headed out to buy compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).

We just got back from the Rebuilding Center (cool place!) and looked at doors for a project we want to do (eventually). We want to build a fence in our back yard. There's only a chain link fence there now, and over one street is a very busy street. Between our back yard and the busy street is only a parking lot. So we'd like to have something to block the sight and sounds of the busy street. Anyway, I was balking at just a conventional fence. Then I thought of the Rebuilding Center, and making it out of old doors! Yes, that's the perfect solution, we all said! We'll be doing that sometime in the new year.

4 comments:

Magpie Ima said...

I was thinking about your fence made of doors--I think there's something similar at the Vita Cafe on Alberta. Also I have some friends who live next door to a greenhouse made entirely of recycled windows and doors---very cool! Good luck with everything.

architect said...

glad that you are all moved in!! Hey, would you believe that we have been buying those compact flourescents at Big Lots for the big price of $1.99/4 pack? We be stocking up for our house!!
oh, and if they should break - you otter know they have mercury in them, about 5 mg, so clean up very carefully!
Have a happy new year!!!!

Elizabeth said...

I suppose that my idea of making a fence made out of doors was probably partly inspired by Vita Cafe. I've thought it was very neat every time I drive by it.

A greenhouse made of recycled windows and doors! Okay, now my wheels are turning...

Mercury in CFLs? Wow. I had no idea. I wonder why and if they can make them differently? Anyone know? Poisoning the environment in a different way is not really what we wanted.

monica said...

Hey Elisabeth, we have been working on house plans for our house and found a really helpful book The Passive Solar House. it has great recommendations for new houses and changing existing houses. it would be helpful to you guys as you green your place.