Sunday, September 3, 2006

Garden and Child Report

Ah, I wish I had my camera! These two items could best be told with pictures. One can be posted later, but the other cannot.

I just brought in five big tomatoes from my garden! One brandywine and four purple cherokees. Yum! I was going to use them in pastitsio, but I don't know that it's the best use for them. Maybe I'll use canned for that and find some wonderful use for these, like tomato soup or tomato tart.

And the big news around here is that Hibi got her ears pierced! We went to a place called Black Hole Body Piercing and a guy with hugely stretched ears and big old plugs in them pierced Hibi's ears. Now, Hibi used to have an extremely low pain tolerance. At age 7, after the dentist pulled a tooth, he came out and told us he'd had a little conversation with Hibi. He told her that when she has a baby, the word to remember is "epidural." ;-) But she chose to have her ears pierced, even though she knew it would hurt. I told her that she really cannot flinch, as it would mess up the hole. And she didn't. She just shuddered after each pierce. I thought at first that perhaps she'd faint, but she didn't. She said it didn't hurt any more than she thought it would. And her ears look so pretty!

Hopefully I'll have my camera back before Friday, when we leave on vacation. We're going back to San Francisco, our former favorite city ;-) for a wedding next week, and to see old friends. We'll visit with family--my brother and sister-in-law in San Francisco, my parents and 101 year old grandmother in central California. We'll see friends in Sacramento and then again while we're camping at a homeschool campout at Patrick's Point (see pictures and blog posts from last year's Patrick's Point campout: here and here and here and here and here).

Then it'll be home, just in time for the first jr. goya (middle school youth group) meeting of the year--rock climbing!

4 comments:

Jennifershmoo said...

Neat! James wants to get his ears pierced, too. We're waiting to talk to his sports coaches and see if that's a problem in football or karate. Glad to hear it didn't hurt too much! Please let us know how the healing goes, too -- I remember that being worse than the actual piercing!

Mimi said...

Glad to hear! Whohoooo.

Travel safely and enjoy San Francisco!

Elizabeth said...

So far Hibi's ears seem to be healing very well, even though she doesn't remember very well to soak in salt water (what they recommend now, instead of the very drying alcohol I remember swabbing my ears in). Today she dropped her ipod in the salt water and I'm not sure she ever went back to soaking, as she was freaked about the ipod! :-P

Mimi said...

soak in salt water (what they recommend now, instead of the very drying alcohol I remember swabbing my ears in).

Really? Salt water? I'm with you - I did the rubbing alcohol thing. I wonder if they don't do that for baby's umbilical stumps either.