Tuesday, April 4, 2006

Last night's dinner

Well. You know how you like to have a really good dinner when someone comes over? Yeah. We had a parishioner over for dinner who works as a public health nurse with low-income teenagers in a school clinic. She had info to share with us for the poverty scene here in Portland. Which was wonderful. But the dinner was so forgettable--or at least I hope it was! I must have had the opposite of the Midas touch. The soup was overly greeny tasting and looked cloudy, and the homemade hummus was grainy. At least Hibi made vegan brownies that were WONDERFUL!

Though just as I was thinking this, Zac came over to me, after finishing his whole bowl of soup, and said "thanks, Mom, for making such a good dinner!" I said that I thought it was the worst dinner I've made all Lent. He said he didn't like all the other stuff I've made, but he liked this! Nothing like kids to keep you humble.

6 comments:

Mimi said...

Kids, how cool are they?

Glad you had a great talk, and I'm sure dinner was awesome, as always. The brownies sound good.

Susan said...

Its usually the copany, not the dinner I enjoy, anyway, someone elses cooking is always better than mine. Maybe that is your guests theory too!
Susan

Susan said...

thats COMPANY, writing on a laptop in the dark!!

Harmonia said...

Kids! I only have the furry kind. LOL

Thanks for your words about the book I borrowed today. I think I will start reading it today!

Elizabeth said...

No, really, Mimi. No one took a second bowl, and they were small bowls. Not even Zac. ;-) Hopefully Susan is right and she enjoyed our company enough that the bad soup didn't matter!

Back when I wasn't veg, and right after we got married and I was quite new to the cooking all the time thing, we had some college friends over who were also newly married. I overcooked the meat and it came out very tough. I didn't say anything, but halfway through the meal, the wife said "Gary, why are you putting sour cream on your meat?" He quite sheepishly just sat there....

Mimi said...

Sigh. I've done that too.

Cooking isn't for the faint of heart.