Friday, March 10, 2006

Snow in Portland in March


Snow in Portland in March
Originally uploaded by sanfranfamily.
It snowed yesterday, all morning! It really came down, but the temperature ranged from 38 to 41 so it didn't stick. Perhaps the best kind of snow....the kind you can enjoy watching, but it doesn't cause any problems driving. My kids would beg to differ, I am certain.

But when I took them over to the other side of town for art class
I discovered the different microclimates of Portland. It was sticking there, and there was a *lot* of snow on the ground! I dropped them off and then was going to head to downtown. I soon abandoned that idea, as I was on a back road to avoid the traffic of the freeway I'd seen going in that direction. But the back road climbed in elevation and didn't have the snow plowing that the more major streets had. It had lots of impacted ice, and lots of traffic, and cars were beginning to slip around. So, I turned right around and walked around in a grocery store near the art class instead.

2 comments:

Christina said...

It was the same thing for us, too. At my parents house the snow was just sticking a little bit. We went over to St. Vincents to see the baby and it's as if you drive through the tunnel on the 26 and entered a whole different world of snow! And we did try to go back on Burnside from the hospital and ended up having to turn around because of so many people running off the road. What an adventure!

Susan said...

Yes, and we had Pavlos shouting from the back that he was soooooo hungry. It was an adventure, but really only one of the fun things about living in Portland. You really never know what the weather is going to be.
Katherine had huge bolts of lightning, and thunder yesterday. Along with that came snow, hail, and beautiful sunshine.
Its March:)