Sunday, January 8, 2006

Hibi's tonsils

Hibi wants me to post about her tonsils. :-P I thought she just had a cold with a bad sore throat, which started I think on Tuesday. We've laid kinda low since then, though we did go to church on Friday morning for Epiphany, and we worked at the Food bank yesterday morning and went to a baptism reception. I thought she was getting better! I also have had a bit of a cold, which I figured I caught from her.

Last night she was feeling worse and slept in our room, something she hasn't done since she was very little. This morning we stayed home from church, and mid-morning or so she came to me saying that her tongue was coated with yellow stuff. And she'd just scrubbed it with her toothbrush! I looked at it and thought, ick! I told her to scrub again and she did, to no avail. I then finally (duh!) thought to look at her throat. Her tonsils were and are hugely swollen and had one large pustule on one. Over the afternoon and evening they've gotten more swollen with lots more pustules. She's quite grossed about about having pus-filled things in her throat! I think we have either tonsillitis or strep on our hands. I've never been really sure what the tonsils even look like, since I've never had any trouble with mine and can't really distinguish them from anything else in there. But now I know. These are huge. And I've never had strep, and neither has Paul. It's so much easier dealing with things we've dealt with before.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds like strep to me. I work in a clinic part time and we've been seeing lots of that nasty stuff.
The pus in the throat is a sure sign.
You should take her in and get her on antibiotics. Not to scare you but strep can go into other more serious things.
Good luck! Susan

Elizabeth said...

We've got an appointment at 12:20 today. I know strep is serious if it's not treated. I'm not usually big on antibiotics, but I will take it for strep. I can't remember when the last time was that she had antibiotics....oh, now I remember. When she was bitten by our cat. Cats have very dirty mouths! She also got a tetanus shot then. That was....must have been about three years ago. She thought the cat needed to be in the car with her while she cleaned it out. She was shutting the door to keep him in and shut it on his foot! I think the bite was quite justified. ;-)

Mimi said...

Oh poor thing, I hope she feels better soon.

Laurie said...

I can empathize with you saying things you haven't dealt with before being so much harder to deal with! When I hear that more experienced moms feel the same way it makes me feel less like a loser when something happens to Ramona and I don't know what to do right off the bat. The first two weeks after she was born she had really severe jaundice and we didn't realize her color was bad. Now I look like at the pictures taken then and she was orange as a pumpkin . . . I hope Hibi gets better soon!