Saturday, November 12, 2005

Wedding Bells are Ringing....

For my 100-year-old Grandmother! I can't believe it!

My grandmother, Helen, has been married three times already. Her third marriage was when she was 82 and her beloved was 84. I can remember how it happened: my grandmother had been widowed for 5 years, and I was 17. I came home late one night from babysitting, and went to get a drink of water from the kitchen before going to bed. When I put my cup in the dishwasher, there were dishes in there that my mother only used when we had company. The next morning, I asked her, "Who came over last night?" She replied: "Grandma brought her fiancee over last night." WHAT?!? I had not heard anything about her, uh, dating! He just out of the blue popped the question, and she was astonished. He was amazed that she never suspected that he had feelings for her. But she said yes! It was an amazing thing that they had 14 wonderful years together after getting married that late in life, and that my children knew Barney as "Great Grandpa."

A week and a half ago my parents came to visit and told us that Grandma was "seeing someone"....a younger man, no less! (He's 93.) I did not think they'd go so far as to get married! Do you know how weird it is to suddenly become cousins to kids you grew up with? That happened already when Grandma got married to Barney, and now it'll happen again.

I wish Grandma and John all the happiness in the world, for the rest of their lives.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

That's so sweet, many years to both Helen and John!

layne (herman) said...

Congrats to Helen and John!

Many years!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful... congratulations to them both! My grandmother was widowed at 79 and remarried at 82; they're still going strong, and quite adorable to boot.

Long life to her and her intended!