Thursday, August 18, 2005

Big Box Bane

I never read Mark Morford before Jennifer posted a link on her blog.....he used to be only online, and I didn't know he existed. But I've become an on-again, off-again reader of his column, and yesterday's was great.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/gate/archive/2005/08/17/notes081705.DTL&nl=fix

I've been thinking about Big Box stores, and the homogenizing effect they have on the US. Since moving back to San Francisco, I've sworn off, as much as possible, shopping at chain stores, or at least national chains. I've done pretty well, but once in a while I'm left with a "where in the world am I going to buy a six foot folding table, except at Target?" kind of question. Even here in San Francisco, I am forced to shop, once in a while, at a chain store. I don't ever have to buy books at Borders anymore, or eat at a chain restaurant, though.

My mother-in-law made the observation that when you eat at a non-chain restaurant it's usually crummy food. Now, I disagree with that, but it can be so. What I think is closer to the truth is this: when you eat at a chain restaurant, you know what you're getting. It doesn't matter if you're in San Francisco, or Fresno, or Cleveland, or Boston, or Timbuktu. If you eat at Burger King, it's going to taste the same anywhere. There is a certain comfort in eating the same mediocre food. Our taste buds have gotten used to this certain mediocrity. But when we try something new, it may taste different from what we've tried before! Which can be disconcerting. We've gotten so used to the same bland food that we are scared to try something totally wonderful.

4 comments:

Jennifershmoo said...

Good rant! I agree, there seems to be nowhere else to shop for certain things anymore. I end up resorting to Target at times, but I hope to never set foot in WalMart.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I believe that comment about eating in non-chain restaurants was in reference to traveling. I stand by the fact that I have rarely eaten in a non-chain restaurant while traveling in unfamiliar territory where the food was good. Even when you have picked them out as we traveled together. ;>) Besides that I don't frequent Burger King. Love ya daughter-in-law. Mom

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for farmers' markets and mom-and-pop restaurants and shops! Encourage them to make a healthy profit so they can stay in business. Their Big Box competitors can afford to keep cutting profits until they drive all the ordinary folks out of business. Beware Big Box's cheap prices: the real product they deliver is a world without choice.
--Suzanne

Elizabeth said...

Dear Mother-in-law (otherwise affectionately known as "Mom"),

Yes, you are completely right that you were talking about travel at the time, and yes, sometimes--most of the time?--when we're traveling, even the restaurants I choose turn out pretty cruddy food. I guess I still choose to eat in the little cruddy places because I feel that supporting the little guy is more important than eating better (?) food, even if it means having to eat awful food.

Suzanne--I absolutely agree with you. But non-choice isn't even the worst of it. It's the exploitation of human beings that's the worst of it. Real human beings who work so hard for so little. We buy things for "cheap"--but there is what Paul calls a "misery tax."

Jennifer--have you really never set foot in a Wal-Mart? You are an inspiration! I only hope to never set foot there again!