Thursday, July 21, 2005

fun with insects

Hibi found a leaf out in the garden that covered, on the back, with tiny eggs. She brought them in to confirm with me that they were eggs, but we had no idea what kind. She decided to put the leaf into a jar and (at my insistence) keep the jar covered, and see what hatched out! Well, we're now the, uh, proud parents of a bunch of teeny, tiny worms--each about half the width of your little fingernail. They are all crawling all over the jar. A pretty cool unschool experiment.

I don't know what she's going to do with them now....maybe keep the jar (hopefully outside....) until they turn into insects and see what kind they are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. Did you ever find out what the critters were? Or what kind of leaf the eggs were on?

--Suzanne

Elizabeth said...

No, we didn't find out. Last time I went in the backyard, I saw that Hibi had released them--the jar was opened. We're not being able to agree on what kind of leaf they were on--I was thinking maybe nasturtium, but she says it was dandelion. I didn't remember it being elongated like a dandelion leaf, but whatever.